Brighton BN2 2BY Tel 692131
Rediffusion Brighton was part of the south east region. The district office, branch office and workshops were located on Stevenson Road on the Freshfield industrial estate.
There were shops at; 16 York Place and 103 / 104 St James Street in the town.
Rediffusion, who in the early 1960's already had a wired network operating in nearby Lewes, acquired their Brighton and Eastbourne networks from The Rank Organisation in 1968. The network had previously been in the ownership of Relayvision Ltd.
Brighton had a tram network which was discontinued in 1939 in favour of a Trolly Bus System. This too depended on overhead poles and wires to distribute the power to the Busses. Relayvision rented all the poles from the authorities and strung miles of cables to all corners of the town. However when Rediffusion arrived they dispensed with that and laid a 6 coax VTR through the ducts originally dug throughout the town for the tram system!
Brighton had about 11,000 Subscribers with a similar number in Eastbourne. Lewes had around 3,000 and Hastings and Bexhill a combined 20,000.
Associated Companies in over 175 towns in Great Britain and in Barbados, Bermuda. Canada, Ceylon, Guyana,
Hong Kong, Jamaica, Malaya, Malta, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and West Africa etc.
Based on information supplied by Peter Barnard
Lewes Aerial Site ( 1966 )
Brighton Branch Office and Workshops. Freshfield Industrial Estate. 1978.
Long service dinner South East Region c1976.
Brighton Shop at 155 Western Road. 1977
Click the link below to read Sid Babbage's memories of Brighton at the time of the
takeover from Rank in the 1960's